I know how much we all like to glue on rafter tails but I had a bit of an epiphany this morning.
Most of you probably know what I learned this morning but I thought I'd share it with you anyway.
The coal bunker in the Bartholow kit has a loft that requires 46 rafter tails. Flipping the building on its side and trying to glue them on is near impossible....you can't see the pencil lines on the underside of the roof and you just can't get in there to get the buggers on the side with the large lower roof section. So, I struggled, tried every tweezer I own and finally walked away.
Then it hit me like a brick....why not work from above? I cut out the rafter spacing template off the roof card and spot glued it to the roof. Holy cow, why didn't this ever occur to me before? No turning, flipping, fiddling, swearing....no nothing. The tails went on straight and evenly spaced without a hitch. It took about 45 minutes to glue on all 46 of them with the building just sitting in front of me......I was giddy.
I also had yet another discovery. I got this little bottle with a stainless steel tip that has a pinpoint nozzle with a .020 opening. I filled it with Elmers and gave it a try. This thing can put down a line of glue like you wouldn't believe - no overflow, no mess and a line 1/32" thick or less is no problem. The days of using toothpicks is over at Chez Karl O. I used it to glue the fascia boards on the coal bunker and it worked beautifully. Can I say....I had a very good morning.